11 November 2008

Carter's Christmas List

We have been truly blessed this year in that we have been able to spend time with family and friends regularly, that the house is in good shape and that we are all in good health. The boys have plenty to play with and cute clothes to ruin while they do so. We aren't in need of anything this holiday season, but we do have a few wants.

Carter is truly a child of nature. He is spirited and full of energy and is grounded by time outside. I've been struggling with this all year because as anyone reading this knows, I hate outside. However, I am trying to honor his needs by taking us outside more and finding things we can enjoy doing together. In addition I am trying to bring nature in to us as often as possible. This, coupled with my fear of plastics, leaves our list fairly natural in nature. I understand that the things I'm listing here are probably not what you were hoping to see on this list, but they are what I think will serve us best in the next year.

--a walking stick (we go on hikes relatively often and he could use a stick to help him with the hills. He's roughly 36 inches tall so a stick around that height would be good for him

--wood to build a fort (scrap wood and branches that may have fallen at your house. I think he would very much like to create a little wooden fort to sit and play in while in the back yard.)

--a nice wooden abacus (this one is nice
)

--threading games (like this or this)

--a few wooden bowls (like this)

--Not Blocks (here)

--art supplies ([s]like this[/s] or this or these)

--neato puzzles (here or here or here. The puzzles need to be at least 16 pieces)

Sites I like:
http://www.novanatural.com/

http://www.oompa.com

So, like I said, a bit unconventional, but hopefully you will see the beauty in these toys. If you have the chance, this months issue of Mothering Magazine has a few wonderful articles on toys, plus a great toy guide. If you do see some super cute clothes you think he has to have, he's wearing a 3T. Of course, Packers and Badgers stuff is appreciated since we can't get it down here. Current interests include: trains, tractors, all heavy machinery (excavators are his favorite) and dinosaurs (triceratops is his favorite).

It's getting late so I suppose Oz's list will have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments: